2. Information we collect
Information We Collect Directly From You. The type of information that we collect from you depends on your interaction with our Site and Services.
- You must create an account to purchase audiobooks or memberships from the Site. To create an account, you must provide your name, email address, country, postal code or zip code, and password. You can also choose to support a specific bookstore. We also may collect additional optional information from you such as how you heard about us and other contact information.
- If you become a member or make a purchase, you must provide your payment information, and zip code or postal code to our payment processor. For a purchase requiring shipment, we will collect your shipping address.
- We will also collect information about your purchases, returns, gifts and recipients, statistics about your accomplishments as a listener and bookstore supporter, preferences such as language and genre and your email and club type when you sign up for book clubs.
- If you refer a friend, we will collect the contact information you provide and may provide you with referral credits.
- Through its Audiobook Listening Copy (“ALC”) program, Libro.fm provides promotional copies of audiobooks to influencers, press, educators, librarians, and owners and employees of bookstore partners. If you apply for, or participate in, one of these ALC programs, we will collect your name and contact information and information to determine your qualification for the ALC program, including associated organizations, and social media channels for influencers. If you participate in one of the ALC programs, you agree that Libro.fm may share your name, organization, social media and internet profiles, and ALC download activity with publishers and others as part of our ALC Program.
Information We Collect Automatically. We automatically collect the following information about your use of our Site or Services and your device through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies: your domain name; your browser type and operating system; device information; web pages you view on our Site; links you click on our Site; your IP address; the length of time you visit our Site and or use our Services; and the referring URL or the webpage that led you to our Site. We will collect information about your purchases, quizzes, recommendations, preferences, playlists, and other activities on the Site and Services.
Cookies and Other Technologies
We also keep track of your interaction with the Site, Service and any other users. Specifically, our servers automatically record information that your browser (or our Service) sends whenever you interact with the Service. This information includes your Internet Protocol address (IP address), your cookie ID, your browser type and version, mobile operating system, mobile device type, app version, which aspects of Service you use and when and how long you use them, and how you otherwise access the Libro.fm Service.
Currently, our Site and Services do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed in this section (e.g., by disabling cookies).
Third-Party Ad Networks
Users in the United States may opt out of many third-party ad networks. For example, you may go to the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) Consumer Choice Page for information about opting out of interest-based advertising and your choices.
Opting out from one or more companies listed on the DAA Consumer Choice Page will opt you out from those companies’ delivery of interest-based content or ads to you, but it does not mean you will no longer receive any advertising through our Site or on other websites. You may continue to receive advertisements, for example, based on the particular website that you are viewing (i.e., contextually based ads). Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you opt out on the DAA site, your opt out may not be effective. Additional information is available on the DAA’s website at www.aboutads.info.
3. How we use your information
We may use the information we collect, including your personal information, to:
- provide, personalize, and improve your experience with the Site, Services and Products, for example by providing customized or localized content such as bookstore finder, recommended books, event notices, or advertising;
- ensure technical functioning of the Site and Service;
- provide customer support, including facilitating returns and refunds;
- develop new products, services and recommendations, and analyze your use of the Site, Services, and Products including your interaction with applications, advertising, Products and Services;
- communicate with you, including promotional emails or messages;
- enable and promote the Site and Services, including features, playlists, Wish Lists and content, such as sharing, user interactions, notifications and suggestions, and integration with third party services;
- allow you to participate in events, contests, sweepstakes, promotions, giveaways, look up bookstores and other similar activities;
4. Your choices
To modify your email marketing preferences, please opt out using the unsubscribe link in the email. Even if you opt out of marketing emails, we may still email you regarding your transactions. Through your device and browser settings, you can change your cookie and advertising choices. When you login, you can edit your account information, choose to delete your account, manage your public Wish List information, and change your bookstore.
5. Sharing of information with third parties
We may share your information in the following ways:
With Service Providers and Affiliates
We use third parties to manage portions of the Service, facilitate our business (e.g., by hosting our servers or providing payment processing services to us), manage communications with you, or otherwise provide services to us in connection with the Service. Your personal information may be transmitted to and from, and maintained and processed, by our affiliates and other third parties who provide services on our behalf in the U.S. or other jurisdictions.
With Bookstore Partners and Other Third Parties
As part of the Service, we allow you to support bookstore partners by designating a bookstore partner to receive a share of the profits from your purchases of audiobooks and memberships. When you have selected a bookstore partner, Libro.fm will share with that bookstore partner your name, email address, and purchases of audiobooks and memberships. As stated above, we also share information with publishers, authors, employers and others through our ALC and employee programs.
You can refer friends and create Wish Lists and share these with your friends and family.
When you receive an audiobook or membership as a gift or from an organization, we may provide confirmation that you received the audiobook or membership to the person or organization that gave it to you, along with identifying information about you.
We may also share your information with advertising networks, advertisers and analytics providers for the purposes of interest based advertising.
We will share personal information we collect from you if we believe it is reasonably necessary to make the Libro.fm Service available to you, legally required, or otherwise permitted by you.
In addition to the above, we may also share your information with third parties: to allow a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of our assets; to respond to legal process; to inform business partners about use of the Libro.fm Service and products and services made available through the Libro.fm Service, in the form of aggregated statistics or otherwise in a format which does not reveal your identity; and if you expressly opt in to such sharing or when we otherwise notify you.
6. Additional information about third parties
We are committed to protecting our users’ information. Your password protects your user account, so you should use a unique and strong password, limit access to your computer and browser, and sign off after having used the Service. While we take reasonable data protection precautions, no security measures are completely secure, and we do not guarantee the security of user information at any time.
8. Children’s privacy
The Libro.fm Service is intended for users age 18 or older.
Through our kids’ book club and other marketing, we offer recommendations for childrens’ books for the use of parents and guardians only. We do not knowingly collect or maintain any personal information from anyone under the age of 13 nor is any part of our Site or Service directed to children under the age of 13. We will remove and/or delete any personal information we believe was submitted by any child under the age of 13.
9. Special note to users outside of the United States
11. Contact us